Thursday, December 18, 2008

Back to Warhammer

As the title goes, I once again find myself playing the one hobby game that I have been since about 1998... Warhammer, both Fantasy and 40K have been played by myself and my friends since half of us have been friends, in fact, if it wasn't for Warhammer, I wouldn't know Wong (The Wasted Warrior), I would never have gone to Jon's Basement, and probably not have been as close friends with Mike (Project 1K), Ray (Blacker Templar), Jon and Wong...

Aside from the touching introduction above, I found my passion for Warhammer sparked by a very odd event, my cousin started playing this year, and got all of his friends into Warhammer as well; this on top of Warhammer Online, which got Mike, Jon, and Wong back on the ball seemed like a perfect time to get back in the game. Only problem, I didn't own an army...

That problem was soon fixed, and oh boy, it made the opposite a problem. See, we started playing at about age 14, we had no money, no credit cards, no jobs, etc... and we heavily relied on gifts, and other bits of random money just to buy a blister. Now, a full time employee at a large brokerage, I can buy armies at a time... So I did. ::cries::

I went to ebay and found cheap bits here and there and some large bulks of armies all for less than half of retail. Off ebay I won an Empire Army (I had bits of this too as it was my army from the late 90's - early 00's) and an Orc & Gobbo Army. I also picked up a huge High Elf lot from a kid who used to play and tons of Ogres via another friend for less than 1/4 of retail, all assembled and in decent painted condition.

So the problem began: What do I actually play, and there is a ton of models everywhere in my house... Solution, I have a great set of friends who were getting back into the game! I gave Drew the Orc lot, in exchange for $50, plus he must 'restore', touch up, and convert the Ogres to top standards (as I believe Wong is probably the best painter in our group - Ray is proably just as good, if not better but he is an EMT who attends school and slaves for 13+ hours a day working - and I don't want to bother him). Wong makes out good, I get what I need, plus Wong also agreed to help me with learning how to paint well myself, which is overall worth it to me. Next comes the High Elves, well, I liked them, but they simply weren't for me... I call up Mike, he comes over, plays them vs. my Ogres and he likes them a lot. He agrees to trade them off with me, what do I get, Dwarfs! One for One, an even deal, and I get back the only army I truly loved since we last played about 2 or 3 years ago.

Currently my situation with armies:
(1) Ogres - Painted to decent quality, Wong is perfecting, and finishing this up. They will be my main army and used in 100% of all matches until I finish my Dwarfs.
(2) Dwarfs - Just started collecting, thanks to Battle for Skull Pass, and a trade with Mike, all I'm missing is an Anvil of Doom and I will have a 2250 point ready to play. This army needs to be painted and will take some time to finish as I am not motivated to paint much and I currently have a painted Ogre army (let's hope the start of this site gets me motivated).
(3) Empire - God bless them, I thought Mike wanted these guys, so I loaded them all up, but he took the High Elves instead. This army will be put up for sale at a local GW or on ebay, either way, they are gone.

So, as you can see, it's not random which army I will use, it was just a challenge at first to find one that I liked enough to stay committed to.

As for 40K, the group is less 'enthused' about this because of some new rules (that and it's Fantasy Season now) but still I can't resist and as stated above I am unmotivated, so I will get a head start. My cousin told me he will start a Necron army, and Wong has a painted Eldar army. I picked up a ton of Ork Boyz, Nobz, Koptas, and 2 Warbosses from the new 40K starter Assault on Black Reach. So for about $45 + Tax (as I got 2 sets of Orks, while a Marine player at the store took both Marine sets), I have a good start to my Ork 40K army. I assembled one set so far, I will prime them soon and put pictures up once I do this.

As a footnote Wong also recruited a new player: Dingo aka Dominguez to play a Chaos Mortal Fantasy army. Let's just say, after 3 years of only playing Skirmish games, it's good to be back throwing countles models out to die in bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment