Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Ogres and the Lost Link

Since the wasted warrior (Drew) wanted to attribute the death of many a dark elf to his own stupidity, it was Tyrant 'Oj that will take credit for the Ogres next meal! As an FYI, he rolled bad for stupidity, but I rolled bad for magic, failing to cast 5 attempts at a 3+ spell on one turn alone!

Short report on how things went (and what I need to work on to be a better Ogre general):

"Oi them pointy ears wanted to make us slaves, so we ate 'em"
-Tyrant 'Oj

Setup was standard for me, bullet shields up front, 2 units of 3x Bulls screening the Ironguts with attached Butchers and Tyrants, and a 20x Gnoblar unit guarding the left flank of the bulls with the 2 units of 2x Leadbelchers up front ready to shoot some junk, 2 Gorgers ready to jump repeater crews, and a unit of 8x Gnoblar Trappers scouting behind a hill 12 inches away from a cold one charriot (This unit of trappers and the other 20 Gnoblars performed perfectly, more on that in a moment)

Game starts with Ogres martching and trappers throwing junk at a cold one charriot - nothing great. Turn 2 Ogres Martch, leadbelchers shoot and kill harpies, trappers squabble, I roll horrible for magic, lucky for me, Drew's charriot fails a stupidity check and cant charge my line (this is what I need to work on, the positioning of units - I managed to bottleneck myself, trappers, bulls behind them, ironguts behind them... If he would have charged, I planned to flee with trappers and counter with bulls, but I learned he could have redirected, and he would have taken a chunk of my right flank - I don't think this would have cost me the game as the bulls and guts squads on that flank did nothing all game aside from kill the charriot, 10x crossbowmen, and a repeater crew - all isolated on that flank, so eh...), 2 Gorgers also arrive ready to pounce on crossbowmen and a repeater crew... The rest of the game can be summarized by me charging gnoblars into executioners and winning combat by 1 (would have been 3, but he had hatred so rerolled and killed a few more puny gnoblars), butchers casting and leadbeltchers shooting took down executioners after the gnoblars broke, bulls charging a charriot and killing it over 2 turns, his lord and the attached holding up a unit of ironguts with a butcher for 2 turns, eventually my tyrant came in and crushed enough to win on static CR... Nothing spectacular, just enough for a win.

I need to work on:

Movement and positioning, if Drew would have had tons of fast cal I would have been in trouble. This seems to be the most glaring problem that I had. Then I need to learn when to declare challanges with my Tyrant, Jon pointed out to me on the last turn to 'Tenderize' with the Tyrant, and even if he accepted with his unit champ, not the lord, I'd overkill the champ enough to win by CR...

I need to know these things on my own in order to beat the others...


For the missing link, my girlfriend found my usb link for my cam so I can put pics up again woo hoo! Dwarfs will be posted up soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, nice battle report. Lizards challenge the ogres. No excuses. I'll play anywhere.

    ReplyDelete